Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mothers

Reflecting on 'Mother'

I am a mother.
I have a mother, I have a son.
I have had a mother, I have had a son.


On Sunday, Mother's Day, I realized that I am all of the above.  I was able to think how fortunate I am to be able to have had an awesome mother.  We had so much fun together and a ton of laughs.  Owen and I recently listened to Stuart McLean on his program the Vinyl Cafe.  He told the story of Dave taking Mrs. Turlington's brand new Lexus through the car wash.  It brought back the memory of Mom and I going through the car wash and (I know this is one of those stories where you'd had to have been there) but I started making the swishing/swooshing - water spraying sounds of the car wash... and we laughed so hard I had to take Mom home to change.  One of many....  I wasn't an easy kid and she put up with a lot but then so did I! After my teen years, I told Mom everything; she always listened, she sometimes gave great advice and most times she just let me talk.  And yes, she did scold and she had 'fire in her eyes' when she wasn't happy with me.  She played tricks on me too. 

Jeremy brought me all of the things a son gives to their mother.  Love, laughter, joy, worry and tears.  I was so proud of his ability to touch the hearts of young and old.  He was able to find beauty and love in everything.  I was thinking what I missed the most.  I miss having our frequent chats; where we would share the days events, seek solace, advice, and comfort.  Always with the compassion a mother and son, without speaking, can convey.  Today, when I have a puzzle I can't solve, a life situation that I am struggling with, I think, "what would Jeremy tell me to help me?" 

Jeremy, you were wise beyond your years.
I believe in destiny and I think it was your time to move on and to solve some of the questions you needed answered.
You are with me always.

1 comment:

  1. Nadine, beautiful comments and insight for both Mother and Jeremy. I know times are hard sometimes and we certainly miss them; you have grown so much the last few years and in areas you did not want to. Love and hugs. Karen

    ReplyDelete