Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nature Speaks

Absolutely incredible. Sister Karen took this amazing photograph two days after these little hummingbirds hatched. Karen takes the most amazing photographs. If you've never seen a hummingbird nest (I had not), they are somewhere between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball. The eggs were about 1/2 the size of the tip of my little finger.

Owen and I returned today for a visit. I was shocked to see the nest was gone. Only ragged remnants remained. It has broken my heart. My first and hopeful thought is that the nest had blown out of the branches it was nestled in. But the word I heard Owen mutter was 'cat'. And now a whole new vision is implanted in my mind. A very unpleasant one. Nature works in wonderous ways. It gives and it takes. Harmless little baby hummingbirds, named Kahlo and Diego. Jo Ann and Roy had named mama hummingbird, Frieda.

No comments:

Post a Comment